Blindley Heath CC play traditional village green cricket at a picturesque ground in Surrey. The club was founded over 100 years ago, and has a long and proud history. The club is well known for it's arguably league standard wicket, attracting praise from many visiting teams, who return to The Heath every year.
Two teams are currently in operation at the club, the Saturday Friendly XI and the Sunday Friendly XI. Both play a variety of home and away fixtures, most against teams that the club has played regularly over many years. However, we are always happy to consider new fixtures so please get in touch if you are club looking for a new challenge.
Additionally, both teams are always on the look out for new players. If you are interested in playing for either side, please get in touch through the link below, or pop down to the ground. Non-playing visitors are always welcome.
History of Blindley Heath Cricket Club - written by John Collard
Blindley Heath Cricket Club is more than a century old. No one currently connected with the club knows when the first sounds of leather on willow were heard drifting across the common, but by the end of the 19th century the cricket club was well established. It contributed to the social life of the Surrey village as well as providing the venue for the annual village sports day.
John Collard, a lifelong member of the club born and bred in the village wrote the following recollections and comments:
"In the 1920’s the diamond millionaire and Bentley racing driver Woolf Barnato became involved with the club. He lived at Ardenrun, and kept wicket for Surrey as an amateur, as well as entertaining the visiting Australian test teams at his private ground.
The 1930’s saw the arrival at the village school of a new headmaster aptly named J.H. Bowler. For the next 20 years his contribution to the club was without equal. Not only was he the secretary and treasurer, but he encouraged the boys at his school to play cricket. Every boy hoped to be asked to play for the men’s team such was the enthusiasm. He was no mean spin bowler and his “Chinese cut” was renowned. It was largely due to his efforts that cricket continued to be played during the 2nd World War, even though there was no regular fixture list. Soldiers from nearby Hobbs Barracks also used the facilities during this time.
The ground is enclosed by a post and rail ring fence. It is presumed this was erected to keep the animals grazing on the common from venturing on to the playing area. Photographs on this web site show that this was not wholly successful. The records also show the gradual development of the pavilion. Pre 1914 it consisted of a small wooden “shed”. Later this was extended on the west side to provide a visitors changing room. The present brick pavilion was built in the 1960’s. Unfortunately, as it is on common land it had to be built on the footprint of the old building. Recent efforts to increase the size of the pavilion have not met with support from the authorities, although one day if funds allow we may try again to overturn the red tape.
For the last 50 years the care of the ground has been entrusted to the Burchett family, firstly Tom and now his son Neil. The quality of the batting surface is praised by many visiting teams and is a credit to their expertise."
John was a member of Blindley Heath CC for about 60 years as a player, treasurer, secretary and finally chairman. John sadly passed away in February 2006, and he remains a legend within the club.
If you are interested in joining Blindley Heath CC, please contact one of our team captains by email and they will get back to you. Or please contact 07464994935 and leave a voicemail message (this number is not routinely monitored so do not attempt to contact regarding fixtures). Alternatively, pop down to the ground during a home fixture.